Tuesday 31 December 2013

What's in a word ?

I like to read other creative's blogs, not only for new ideas and inspiration but they are an endless source of wisdom, joy and sometimes sorrow. At this time of year artists are beginning to think about work for the following months and where their inspiration may come from. We are all thinking about how the new year may change the way we think or work,  some may have resolutions to keep, some of us may do nothing new at all and I have to say I fall into the later group. I tend not to make promises to myself or vow to change something in my life. What I have done in the last few of years though, is choose a word that I use as a starting point for work. For example, two years ago I chose 'pilgrimage'. If you want a run down on how this influenced my work, you may like to visit my previous life and have a look - Notes from the studio - in fact I carried this on for the following year too as I felt the word had so much to offer me.
For a glimpse on how other people might utilize this same method in their lives, have a look at Zendotstudio and also QuinnCreative for some ideas.

So, choosing a word isn't easy. It takes some thought (though I have to say, one shouldn't over think it) , quite often a word will be 'snagged' by your imagination and you won't let it go. Or a word may have some inner meaning to your current situation. Half the fun is in the choosing. I like to mull over what the word may mean to me for a few days, before I make a final decision. The word that keeps rising to the surface for me now, is 'uncertainty' . My life is quite uncertain at the moment and I am rather reveling in that. Unnerving as it it is at times it makes each day an adventure. Now, this word has endless possibilities in relation to my art and I will list a couple of quotes that resonate with me and influenced my choice.




The quest for certainty locks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
Erich Fromm

Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. ...live in the question.”
Rainer Maria Rilke

Nobody knows how things will turn out, that's why they go ahead and play the game...You give it your all and sometimes amazing things happen, but it's hardly ever what you expect.” 
Gennifer Choldenko

Uncertainty is a quality to be cherished, therefore – if not for it, who would dare to undertake anything?”
Auguste de Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

So where do I go from here ? Well I am uncertain ! I'll see what comes up. 
Leave me a msg with your 2014 words and why !

In the meantime a lovely New years eve walk down a very steep hill to San Blas bay this morning blew a few cobwebs away.





HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment